Monday 7 July 2008

Are We Theology Students Losing Focus?

A reminder to those who, like me, can all too easily lose the focus of why we're studying Theology.


A running theme throughout these reminders is the fact that it is all too easy to love the subject of Theology and all that it entails - the essays, the reading, the arguing and debating, the refuting, the thelogising and philosophising - and forget that at the end of it all, is Christ.  And it is our love for Christ that should shine through, and it is our love for Christ the likely brought us to study Theology in the first place.  

That's a sobering challenge.

2 comments:

David said...

I'm finding it especially tough, over a three month holiday period. How do you explain to old friends that God is the reason you're studying what you're studying? I was even asked, by a friend's mother who was considerably tipsy, 'What's the point in studying something that doesn't exist?'

I just pray we remember our first love, and love theology accordingly - not the other way round.

Moonstruck said...

Excue me, Tim, for taking a moment to reply to Dave's comment.

Dave, shamefully enough, she was not even that tipsy.

I have never once seen you lose sight of why you are studying, and you do seem fuelled by and endless passion to learn more and more about Theology. I cannot believe that you once lose sight of it. Even when bombarded with essays and coursework I imagine you not tiring but taking it all in your stride as you are passionate about the subject. I know why you're studying what you're studying, and you know I respect you wholeheartedly for your commitment. Despite rarely agreeing.

Lijit Search Wijit