Saturday 4 December 2010

A word from Thomas Merton & a blog you should read.

It seems appropriate to quote Thomas Merton at a time when writing - my own and other peoples - has been under a fair bit of discussion and debate in recent weeks:

If a writer is so cautious that he never writes anything that cannot be criticised, he will never write anything that can be read. If you want to help other people you have got to make up your mind to write things that some people will condemn.

From his 'New Seeds of Contemplation'.

I was reminded of this by Chloe Lynch, a friend who has a blog you should be reading. So a tip of the hat to her, and head to The Art of Steering to check her out.

1 comment:

Chloe said...

Yes, I have been living this experience with my dissertation this week. I have to keep reminding myself that criticism is GOOD as it'll make my writing better, I hope!

Lijit Search Wijit